Knowing what we know about aspiring musicians who began their childhood careers with Disney, we know not to ignore an up-and-comer was associated with the brand. Joining the ranks of former Disney alums like Britney Spears, Zac Efron, Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato, the beginning of Skuller’s musical journey included a stint with Radio Disney back in the day. Now, the 19-year-old singer-songwriter shows off his rockabilly talent and timeless vocal chops with a celebration of 5 years on the music scene. Skuller will release The Early Years which tracks his talent since the young age of 14, when he released his first single via Bar/None Records with Ramones producer Daniel Rey. Last year, Skuller even received the 2014 Holly Prize in honor of Buddy Holly, from the Songwriters Hall of Fame. Though he might not be taking the traditional Disney pop path, the future is looking bright for the James Dean-like Skuller.
Check out Skuller’s singles compilation streaming exclusively below, featuring 10 tracks from the release of his first single in 2010 to his most recent release via Mint 400 records. He’ll play alongside Sean Altman at Rockwood Music Hall in NY, performing a tribute to the Everly Brothers on November 21. Get your tickets here.
1. What gets you up in the morning? A good cup of coffee and a plan.
2. What’s your personal life philosophy? Live your life, be creative and keep moving.
3. Your biggest virtue? Honesty. Truthfulness.
4. Your biggest vice? Buying guitars. It’s an obsession.
5. Do you have a party trick? No. I’m not very tricky.
6. How would you describe your style? I relate to the time when rock was young and dangerous and the clothes were simple and beatnik. My style is a hybrid of Eddie Cochran and James Dean.
7. What would constitute a perfect day for you? Writing songs, playing basketball with my brother and sister, row boating in Central Park with my girlfriend, Netflix, sleep.
8. Knowing what you know today, what advice would you give your younger self? I would say – be true to yourself and don’t let anybody take away what is authentic about you.
9. What would your very last meal entail? My last meal would totally be a Thanksgiving feast. I just learned how to make killer mashed potatoes!
10. Three people—dead or alive, real or fictional—that you’d like to invite to dinner? Buddy Holly, Paul Rudd and Wanda Jackson.
11. If you were a song, which one would you be? “Key to the Highway”—Little Walter’s version.
12. If a movie were made about you, who would play you? James Franco.
13. Turn ons? The Blues. Deep thinking.
14. Turn offs? Deception. Passive aggressive behavior.
15. Your spirit animal? The Gorilla. Gorillas spend about 30% of their day eating, 30% traveling and playing, and 40% resting and sleeping.
16. Your favorite flower? The Night Blooming Cereus. It only blooms one night a year in August. It’s incredibly beautiful.
17. Tell us a secret. My fans don’t know this, but I’m a sophomore in college.
18. Your favorite quote? “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace”— Jimi Hendrix
19. What is your current state of mind? Really happy and excited about the future.
20. An embarrassing moment? Every time my voice used to crack on stage.
21. Your proudest moment? Receiving the Buddy Holly Prize at the 2014 Songwriters Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony. It was so incredible to be recognized for my work in a room full of some of the best songwriters and producers of all time, and for that to happen in honor of one of my heroes, Buddy Holly.